Thursday, April 5, 2012

Licorice root | terra, not terror

I’ve got this crazy heartburn right now. Not sure what caused it. Maybe the “mild” salsa in my southwest lasagna wasn’t that mild. Maybe it’s a side effect of the allergies/sinus infection that are plaguing me right now. I don’t know, but I do know that I don’t want to take a commercial antacid. I looked online for heartburn relief. Lo and behold, one of my favorite herbs can be a heartburn reliever. Licorice root!

Licorice rootI discovered licorice root in college. It’s doesn’t taste like black licorice, and it’s actually about 400 times sweeter than sugar, without the crazy brain effects. I have a bag of licorice root in the cupboard, so I ran right in and started chewing a stick. The heartburn is a little less intense and I feel better knowing that I have a natural remedy for at least part of this miserable situation. This morning, I’m drinking licorice tea, just in case my oatmeal sends me into spasms of pain. (10 minutes later… yes, oatmeal is giving me trouble. oatmeal!)

Licorice root contains isoflavones and can be used for

  • sore throat
  • stomach ulcers
  • bronchitis
  • rheumatoid arthritis
  • depression
  • heartburn

Don’t take too much though. Licorice in large amounts (200mg a day) can be dangerous for the liver and cardiovascular system. It’s powerful stuff.

Sources

I live in Akron, OH with my husband, 2 cats and 1 dog. I enjoy travel, vegan cooking, and learning something new every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment