Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dark Eye Circles Aren't There to Stay – Licorice Root can Help Send ...

Dark under-eye circles are not very attractive. I get dark circles under my eyes due to my pesky allergies and I hate it. I use concealer but lately, I have discovered that licorice root tea helps to keep those dark circles under control. I did have a kidney stone a few years ago which passed naturally and I have a spot on my liver which needs to be checked every year.

I found out, from the work of Dr. Greg Sperber, (clinical director from the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in San Diego, CA), that poor adrenal function shows up as blue circles under the eyes. If the marks are temporary, you’re just not getting enough sleep. But if the circles persist, you may have a chi deficiency; defined as a lack of heat in organs’ energy system, which can be triggered by adrenal burnout.

This often happens during tense times, when the glands are unable to produce enough cortisol to meet the body’s demands. Tension and stress can lead to problems in the body’s regulatory and glandular systems. Therefore, we should go for the licorice root extract or herbal tea remedy.

The compound in licorice, called glycyrrhizin, is the agent that inhibits the conversion of cortisol into its inactive form. This helps maintain elevated levels of the hormone, giving the adrenal glands time to heal. It beats placing cucumber slices under your eyes; although cucumbers are soothing to the under-eye skin.

You can use the actual licorice herb; it tastes like anise. If you don’t care for the taste of licorice, I suggest you purchase the extract. The extract comes in the form of a pill. Either way, remember to get plenty of sleep and don’t let dark circles keep you down.

Leave a Reply


You must be logged in to post a comment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment