Monday, January 9, 2012

tips for healthy skin, part 6: homemade rice flour and licorice root ...

One of my favorite skin care products of all time (which I have bought exactly once in my life) is Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant.  It is a super fine powder that you mix with water and use wash your face.  It isn’t abrasive at all, and it made my skin feel unbelievably lovely.  It contained oatmeal, rice powder, and licorice root extract, among other things.  Alas, I ran out, and so I decided to make my own version of it instead of buying a new (very expensive) bottle.

My first attempt, a few weeks ago, I used my coffee grinder to grind the brown rice.  Unfortunately, my grinder wasn’t able to get the rice fine enough, so I bought some rice flour at the grocery to use instead.  (I have also added goat’s milk powder, as it is part of the skin regimen recommended for oily skin in Absolute Beauty, the book on ayurveda I’ve been reading and highly recommend).  This stuff is wonderful, and has such a calming effect on the skin.  Here’s the recipe:

Rice flour and Licorice Cleansing Grains

Mix together 3 T brown rice flour, 2 T milk powder* (doesn’t have to be goat’s milk), and about 1/2 t. licorice root powder (probably easiest to find in capsule form. I used 3-4 capsules, gently broken open (discard the capsules)).  Mix together, and put through a sifter if the milk powder is clumpy.  To use: Remove makeup first, if wearing makeup.  Mix about 1/4 t. powder with lukewarm water and massage gently over damp skin.  Pat dry.  (You can also mix into a thicker paste and leave on your skin for 10 minutes as a mask.)

Store in a clean salt/pepper shaker for easy dispensing!

* You can substitute an equal amount of oat powder for the milk if you’d like. Some people may be sensitive to the milk powder.  If you have a milk allergy, obviously don’t use this ingredient, and if you experience any irritation, discontinue use.

Licorice root is soothing to the skin, anti-inflammatory, helps with acne and eczema, and is often used in skin-brightening products.

Rice powder is also used to lighten skin and clear the complexion.

Milk powder contains lactic acid, which is a type of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) which works as a gentle exfoliator, promotes the production of collagen, and helps improve skin texture.  It is also hydrating and has anti-bacterial qualities.  Helps to even out skin tone and diminish scars.

Advertisement

0 comments:

Post a Comment