Friday, January 27, 2012

Tea Review on Egyptian Licorice Spice from Yogi Tea at Tea ...

Egyptian Licorice Spice from Yogi TeaThis is an Ayurvedic Spice Infusion, which I cannot really tell you much about, as this is something I know nothing about, so I will concentrate on taste and appearance.

The ingredients list sounds really jam-packed with goodies: Licorice root, cinnamon bark, orange peel, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, clove, natural flavors and essential oils.  Does this remind you more of something Indian, like chai, perhaps? It does me.

It also smells like that famous Indian drink, with ginger and clove, so I am ready to like it.  I brew it with boiling water for about 7 minutes  and there is a lovely sweet, spicy smell coming from my cup.  I used a bit of half and half in it, as I would chai, but held off on any sugar, as licorice root can be quite sweet.  I am glad I did, as I found it to be sweet enough for my taste.

This is for you folks who like your spices gentle and mild.  I think this is an excellent blend, with nothing sticking out and shouting  ”Look at me, taste me first”.  It is difficult to get so many spices and herbs to form a cohesive whole, but this is very nicely done.

Yogi Teas has this to say:

The great kings of Egypt treasured licorice root for its natural sweetness, rich flavor and restorative properties. Our Egyptian Licorice® tea brings you this royal herb in an intriguing blend of complementary spices. This tea is sure to delight with its delicious and satisfying taste, fusing organic licorice with sweet and spicy notes of savory cinnamon and zesty orange peel. Naturally warming, the herbs and spices in Yogi Egyptian Licorice have been traditionally used to support the respiratory and digestive systems.* Enjoy this uniquely delectable tea any time, day or night.

I think this would be a very pleasant way to end an evening or to have with an Indian rice pudding, to round out an Indian meal.  It is much too gentle to stand up to the heavy spices of the meal itself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment